Regenald Herber v.1-3
David Paul v. 4-7
1. The Son of God goes forth to war, A kingly crown to gain,
His blood red banner streams afar: Who follows in His train?
Who best can drink his cup of woe, Triumphant over pain,
Who patient bears his cross below-He follows in His train.
2. The martyr first, whose eagle eye, could pierce beyond the grave,
Who saw his Master in the sky, and called on him to save,
Like Him, with pardon on his tongue, in midst of mortal pain,
He prayed for them that did the wrong,
Who follows in is train?
3. A noble band, the chosen few, On whom the Spirit came
Twelve valiant saints, their hope they knew, And mocked the cross and flame,
They met the tyrant's brandished steel, The lion's gory mane;
They blowed their necks the death to feel; Who follows in their train?
4. A noble army, men and boys, The matron and the maid,
.Around the Savior’s throne rejoice, In robes of light arrayed.
They climbed the steep ascent of heav’n Thro’ peril, toil, and pain.
O God, to us may grace be giv’n To follow in their train!
5. Their numbers swelled, three thousand strong, Confronting Greeks and Rome.
With sandles trod, God's new claimed land, ore foam and bounding main,
Disciples trained, and empires fell, and Satan felt the pain.
They honored Christ the risen Lord, Who follows in their train?
6. With faith that came from God above, Proclaimed Imanuel
A commonwealth of Israel their cit'zenship was claimed
The law of love with life renewed, gave metal to their frame
Their Zeal the Lord of hosts inspired, Who follows in their train.
7.The Son of God his title claims, Earth's judges bow before
The King of all creation crowned, this King gone forth to war.
This Liege the gates of hell has stormed, They fall like Jericho
And on the Earth as in the Heaven His word has made it so.
8. The King of Peace, with joy He reigns, Salem from heav'n come down.
Each chosen saint with comfort filled under His vine sits down
As golden ore, Christ's words are mined enriching all the earth,
Come join His saints new songs we sing to glory in His throne.
Stanzas 5-8 Penned Thanksgiving Day 2010, the eve of a GREATER REFORMATION
copyright Pro Regis 2010 David Paul